Monday, April 30, 2012

From Romania With Love

When leaving Safeway last night I was approached by a family who had a sign explaining their plight.  It is almost commonplace to be asked for a handout when leaving Safeway, so much so they have  a hired security firm, who sometimes are there and most often not.  Anyways, I told them that there are services in the area that can help feed you with a stern look.  The father said, "We speak no English", and I thought, 'go figure'.  Been there, done that.  The father said they were from Romania.  I tried to speak to what I figured was an 8 year old boy thinking he knows English, but all I got was a blank stare. OK, so maybe their story is true I thought.

Frustrated I went back into the store to chat with the store manager.  I told him that I am tired of always being asked for handouts when I am at this store.  If you would could you please tell this family (or whomever it is) that there are services for these people.  It is a polite way to say, "get lost" but if you must go, here are some options.  I knew because of the language barrier that nothing was going to be accomplished.  At this time the family was in the store.  I left and I heard the father say, "Thank you" from a distance.  Not sure if he was being a smart ass cause I just got him booted, or he was thankful.  I felt bad that this family was not getting what I was trying to do.  That is, that there are places they can go.  I stopped them and wrote on their message cardboard piece, the name Salvation Army, and looked up the address to their location.  He asked, that I was able to surmise, "Church, Catholic".  I told them to get to the Salvation Army and they could help.  I showed them that I had no cash on me as I was prepared to give them money to take the bus, so hopefully they can get there.

There is no real moral of the story here, but just an odd happening.  How did a family from Romania get stuck at a Safeway in Modesto?  It does bring up the point that where panhandling is commonplace, that employees could be at least educated on where to send them.  There is no need for panhandling when Modesto has meals and beds for them.

No comments: