Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blue Ribbons Committee findings

At the city council meeting last night, I was pleased with the findings and the response.  Even the anti-anti homeless folks in attendance may have been "moved" when they realized the committee was not "Anti-homeless" and that they are not out to get the homeless.

As I have always preached, it is not necessarily the homeless that cause the problems in Enslen and Graceada Park specifically.  Homelessness breads vagrancy.  I believe the vagrancy comes from 3 specific areas when it comes to Enslen and Graceada.

The first is what I call the "400 Blocks".  The 400 blocks of Sycamore and Park Ave to be specific.  Residents at the 400 block of Sycamore are not allowed into the "green store" at Sycamore and Morris any longer.  Petty crimes have given Sunny no other choice to ban them he says. I agree as I drive by there all the time and see the folks slithering around.

The second are the guys walking around in a stupor just getting off parole at the Parole offices at Needham and Olive.  They have nowhere to go but to the parks. Parolees no longer have to have a physical address to go to.

Thirdly, the Modesto Inn. Period. Enough said there.

When the homeless are lying around with their trailers, blankets, and their brown paper bags it is an invitation to the aforementioned to blend in.  Then idle time kicks in and problems develop.

I look forward to the city council moving forward and making the changes as suggested by the Blue Ribbon's report.  Lets move swift though.  Time for research is over, it is time TO DO now.

BTW, when I got home, I hugged my cats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On my way home tonight. I saw that the Modesto Inn has finally caught fire! I am hoping they are unable to rebuild and can clean up that corner