Monday, November 7, 2011

Water Wells in the Parks?

So the city is entering a contract for water wells to be installed in 5 city parks at the cost of $500k.  In chatting with Todd Aaronson, who is running for city council, District 3, he let me in on this nugget of information.

We both agree that what is the use of having greener parks if nobody wants to go to them? Could the city instead use that money towards commercial paint that is washable to remove graffiti? It is expensive, but you paint it on, and the graffiti comes off easier.  Taggers hate it. Or to pay for new lighting since all the wiring is getting stolen; repairing the restrooms; or paying for security patrols (community service officers) of the parks.

I do not entirely understand why the water wells are needed.  I am just going off what others are telling me.  I have not researched it.  I was emailed (not from a candidate) that water wells are important for the park.  "They are wells that will use water that is not up to State of Calif standards for drinking water which will free up the better water for drinking.  In the long run it will save the city on not having to drill deeper more expensive wells for drinking to meet the standards."  I don't understand the first part, to use the water that is not up to state of Calif standards for drinking water......I am thinking that what was meant, to get RID of the water that is not drinkable, for USABLE drinking water, maybe?

Todd Aaronson says it will only save $11,000 a year.  Taking care of the park maintenance with this $500k would save the city more in the long run from vandalism.  That is what Mr. Aaronson is saying, I am agreeing to.

If my or others' facts are wrong, then it is my fault for not researching it.  I just started this blog because my concerns are the safety and well being of the parks.  I did not want to branch out to water wells, but it all does go together.  Fix the park issues first, then keep them green or make the drinking water better.

No comments: